Bacon Wrapped Oysters With Shallot Confit And Cayenne Crust
- 1/2 dozen freshly shucked Louisiana oysters
- 6 smoked bacon strips
- 5 lbs. shallots, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 4 oz. Cayenne pepper
- 2 quarts. vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. panko bread crumbs
For Bacon Wrapped Oysters:
- Blanch bacon in boiling water for three minutes.
- Cut bacon so that it wraps completely around oyster with ¼” overlap.
For Shallot Confit:
- Slowly caramelize shallots in oil and butter, add brown sugar.
- Season with salt, pepper, and vinegar.
For Cayenne Crust:
- Combine oil and
cayenne pepper in saucepot, bring to a simmer and allow to rest one hour, strain
- In a food processor puree breadcrumbs and add ½ cup of cayenne oil
- Assemble oyster by searing bacon wrapped oyster in non-stick
skillet till crisp.
- Warm shallot confit and place in oyster shell, place oyster
on confit, and top with cayenne breadcrumbs.
- Lightly toast oyster in broiler.
Courtesy of: Louisiana Seafood and Begue's Restaurant, Royal Sonesta New
Orleans. Used with permission.
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes