Cajun Shrimp And Crab Gumbo
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound okra, trimmed and
- 1 gallon shrimp stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt, freshly ground black
pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- 3 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and
- 2 pounds fresh lump crabmeat, picked over
- 6 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot and add the flour.
- Cook the roux,
stirring constantly, to a dark, almost milk chocolate color.
- Just before the
roux reaches the proper color, add the vegetables and stir very briskly,
being careful not to burn it.
- If it burns, the roux is ruined, and you have
to start all over again!
- When the vegetables are tender, add the stock,
salt, and peppers.
- Stir until the roux is dissolved, and simmer over low
heat for one hour.
- Add the shrimp about 5 minutes before serving, then add
the crabmeat by the handful.
- Cook over low heat just until the shrimp turn
pink and the crabmeat is warmed through.
- Serve in large soup or gumbo bowls
over about 1/2 cup of cooked rice per serving.
Recipe was posted at our old cooking blog.
courtesy of Jeffreyw under this
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes