Black Bird Pie
- 3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup very warm water (almost hot)
- 25 black birds
- Mix little biscuit dough. Knead 'til tough and dry - roll with
rolling pin 'til very thin and cut into 2-inch strips.
- Clean birds, rinse.
- Cover birds with water. Cook until tender (at least 2 hours or 1
hour for chicken). Salt and pepper to taste.
- When black birds are tender,
keep broth at a rolling boil and drop in pastry - piece by piece,
shaking pot constantly to keep pastry pieces separated.
- When all is in
pot, place cover on and let cook for approximately 10 minutes. Let set
for about ten more minutes.
If you are unfamiliar with making
pastry from scratch, you can substitute canned biscuits (roll
individually with rolling pin). Or buy frozen pastry from bakery. If you
use canned biscuits, let set for one-half hour and roll or flatten again
to thinness desired.
Wild Game Black