This recipe for Oysters Bienville is from Arnaud's restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2/3 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoons finely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoons
dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound boiled shrimp, finely diced
- 1/4 cup
parsley, finely diced
- 2 dozen oysters on the half shell, drained
pans rock salt
- In a large, heavy saucepan, sauté the 2/3 cup chopped mushrooms quickly
in a small amount of vegetable oil. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the 4 tablespoons unsalted butter and render
the garlic and shallots, stirring frequently until soft. Add the diced
shrimp, then sprinkle in the flour. Stir all together, add the reserved
- Deglaze pan with the brandy while stirring
constantly. Stir in the heavy cream, cook until smooth before adding
Romano cheese, dry bread crumbs and parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne. A
small amount of milk
- may be added if the mixture is too thick. Remove
from heat, allow to cool then refrigerate for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Half an hour before you plan to bake the oysters, place the pans of
rock salt in a preheated 500-degree F oven.
- Wash oyster shells well, pat
dry. Put oysters on shells, place six in each pan of rock salt.
one heaping tablespoon of sauce over each oyster.
- Bake for 15 to 18
minutes until well browned.
New Orleans Restaurant