Fried Green Tomatoes
This recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes is from Uglesich's restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup egg substitute (recommended: Egg Beaters)
- 1 cup fine plain bread crumbs
- 1 green tomato, sliced 1/4-inch
- Remoulade sauce, optional
- Shrimp, optional
- Pour the oil into a large heavy pan suitable for deep-frying and heat
oil to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the egg substitute into a shallow bowl
and place the bread crumbs into another shallow bowl.
- Dip the
sliced green tomatoes into the egg substitute and then into the bread
crumbs to lightly coat.
- To test if the oil is hot enough, add a pinch of
the bread crumbs to the oil; if it bubbles to the top, then you are
ready to fry.
- Carefully add tomatoes to the hot oil and cook on
1 side for 1 minute.
- Flip the tomatoes to cook on the reverse side for 1
- Remove tomatoes from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Top with
a remoulade sauce and serve with shrimp, if desired.
chef: Gail Uglesich
New Orleans Restaurant