Creole Crawfish and Tasso Chowder
This recipe for Creole Crawfish and Tasso Chowder is from The Bombay
Club restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana
- ½ c. Salad oil
- ½ lb. Bacon, diced
- 1 cup Tasso, finely diced
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 3 Celery stalks, diced
- 1 large carrot,
- 1 ea. Red and Green Peppers, diced
- 2 ears Corn, remove
kernels from ears
- 1 Tbs. Tarragon, Thyme, Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ Tbs.
- 2 tsp. Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 ea. Bay
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- ½ c. White wine
- ¼ c.
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- 1/2 gal. Shrimp stock or
- 1 c. Blonde roux
- 1 qt. Heavy cream
- 4 c. Crawfish tails,
- 3 ea. Russet potatoes, cubed and par-boiled
- Heat oil in a medium stock pot, add bacon, sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until
bacon is slightly crispy.
- Add Tasso, onions, celery, carrots and
peppers, sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add corn, garlic, herbs, and spices,
sauté another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine,
Worcestershire, and Tabasco, simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp stock,
bring to a boil then whisk in roux, stirring well, so no lumps form.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 5 minutes, add heavy cream, crawfish,
and strained potatoes.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste.
Name of Chef: Nick Gile
New Orleans Restaurant