- 2 large Yellow onions
- 1 quart Buttermilk
- 2 c Unsalted cracker
- 2 c All-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-frying
- Slice the onions and make rings approx. 1/2 inch in width.
- Dip into
buttermilk, then coat with the flour.
- Dip into buttermilk again,
then coat with the unsalted cracker meal. (works best if you use the
"wet hand, dry hand" method).
- Place rings onto wax paper.
- Separate layers with additional sheets of wax paper.
- Best if allowed to
refrigerate overnight to allow batter to "set".
- Deep fry
- Salt if desired at serving time.