Mixed Fruit and Toffee Corn
- 8 c Popped popcorn (about 1/3 to-1/2 cup un popped)
- 1 c Butter or
- 1 c Sugar
- 3 tb Water
- 1 tb Light corn syrup
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 6 oz. Pkg. mixed dried fruit bits
(1 1/2 cups)
- Remove all un popped kernels from popped corn.
- Place popcorn in a
buttered 17x12x2-inch baking pan. Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degree oven
while making syrup mixture.
- Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart
- In the saucepan combine the butter or margarine, sugar, water,
and corn syrup. Bring mixture to boiling over medium heat. Cook for 8 to
10 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve the
sugar. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan.
- Carefully clip
candy thermometer to side of pan. Cook and stir mixture over medium heat
till thermometer registers 255 degrees, hard-ball stage (10 to 15
minutes). The mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer. Quickly add pecans and vanilla; stir till combined. Pour mixture
over the popcorn, toss gently to coat.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 300 degree
oven for 15 minutes. Remove popcorn from oven; stir in fruit
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes more. Turn popcorn mixture onto a
large piece of foil. Cool mixture completely.
- Serve immediately
or store, tightly covered, in a cool, dry place.
Makes about 22
(1/2 cup) servings.