Ben's Chocolate Ice Cream
Ben's Chocolate Ice Cream is about as rich as they come. The pinch of
salt helps to bring out the chocolate flavor.
- 4 oz. Unsweetened chocolate
- 1 c Heavy or whipping cream
- 1 c Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 lg Eggs
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 c Sugar
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot,
not boiling water.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring
constantly, until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until
completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Add the cream, vanilla and salt
and whisk to blend.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream
mixture and blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1-3 hours,
depending on your refrigerator.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream
maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.
Makes 1 generous quart.
VARIATION: Chocolate Almond- Add 1 cup
roasted whole almonds (salted or unsalted) after the ice cream stiffens,
about 2 minutes before it is done, then continue to freeze until the ice
cream is ready.
Ice Cream Recipes