Ochsenschwanzsuppe (Ox Tail Soup)
- 2 lb. Ox Tails; Disjointed OR 2 Veal Tails
- 1 Onion; Medium,
- 2 T Vegetable Oil
- 8 c Water
- 1 t Salt
- 1/4 c Parsley; Chopped
- 1/2 c Carrots; Diced
- 1 c
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 c Tomatoes; Drained
- 1 t Thyme;
- 1 T Unbleached Flour
- 1 T Butter or Margarine
- 1/4 c Madeira
- In a 4-quart Dutch Oven brown oxtail and onion in hot oil for several
- Add water, salt and peppercorns; simmer uncovered for about 2
- Cover and continue to simmer for 3 additional hours.
the parsley, carrots, celery, bay leaf, tomatoes, and thyme; continue
simmering for 30 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.
- Strain stock and refrigerate for an hour or more.
- In a blender
puree the edible meat and vegetables and reserve.
- Remove fat from top of
stock and reheat.
- In a large, dry fry pan brown flour over high
heat. Cool slightly.
- Add the butter or margarine, blend.
- A little at a
time, add the stock and vegetables.
- Correct seasoning and add Madeira
just before serving.