Chocolate Easter Egg Cake
Chocolate Easter Egg Cake:
- 2 cups C&H® Granulated Sugar
1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1/2
teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs1 (8-oz.) container
- White buttercream frosting
- Assorted chocolate-covered candies or jelly beans
- Green food coloring
- Flaked coconut (optional)
White Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease and flour 3-D egg shaped
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl; mix well. Add
water, oil and eggs; mix until combined.
- Beat at medium speed for 2
minutes. Stir in sour cream.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 60 to
65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool
- Loosen edges; invert cake onto wire rack and cool
- While cake is cooling, prepare the
white buttercream frosting.
For the White Buttercream Frosting
- In a bowl add sugar then add butter. Beat till blended; add salt.
- Add the milk and vanilla and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes
or until smooth and creamy.
To Decorate Cake
- If necessary,
use serrated knife to trim flat side of cake.
- Frost entire cake with
thin layer of white frosting to seal crumbs.
- Using pastry bag with a
star tip, cover cake with piped stars.
- Decorate with chocolate-covered
candies or jelly beans, as desired.
- To serve, surround cake with green
tinted coconut, if desired.
YIELDS 15 servings
tint the coconut green, just dilute a few drops of green food coloring
with 1 tsp. water. Place 1 cup coconut in a resealable bag; sprinkle in
diluted coloring. Toss until coconut is tinted.
Source: C&H Sugar