Popeye's Fried Chicken
- 3 c Self-rising flour
- 1 c Cornstarch
- 3 tb Seasoned salt
- 2 tb
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 pack Italian Salad Dressing Mix
- 1 pack Onion Soup Mix (1 1/2 Ounces)
- 1 pack Spaghetti
sauce mix (1/2 Ounce)
- 3 tb Sugar
- 3 c Corn flakes -- crushed
- 2 Eggs, well
- 1/4 c Cold water
- 4 lb. Chicken, cut up
- Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Put the cornflakes into
another bowl. Put eggs and water in a 3rd bowl.
- Put enough corn
oil into a heavy roomy skillet to fill it 1" deep. Get it HOT! Grease a
9x12x2 baking pan. Set it aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dip chicken pieces 1 piece at a time, into dry coating mix, into egg and
water, mix, into corn flakes, briskly but briefly into dry mix.
- Drop into hot oil,
skin-side-down and brown 3 to 4 minutes on medium high. Turn and brown
other side of each piece. Don't crowd pieces during frying.
- Place in prepared pan in single layer, skin-side-up. Seal in foil, on 3
sides only, leaving 1 side loose for steam to escape.
- Bake at
350 degrees for 35-40 minutes removing foil then to test tenderness of
chicken. Allow to bake uncovered 5 minutes longer to crisp the coating.
Recipe serves 4.
Leftovers refrigerate well up to 4 days.
Do not freeze these leftovers.
Leftover coating mix (1st 9
ingredients) can be stored at room temp in covered container up to 2
This recipe is courtesy of Helen and is a close clone
Close Clone Recipes