Mar's Almond Bars
- 2 c Granulated sugar
- 1/4 c Light corn syrup
- 1/2 c + 2 tb. water
- pinch Salt
- 2 Egg whites
- 35 Kraft caramels
- 2/3 c Whole roasted
- 24 oz. Milk chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, 1/2
cup of the water, and the salt. Heat to boiling, then cook using a candy
thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Beat the egg whites
until they are stiff and form peaks. Don't use a plastic bowl for this.
- When the sugar mixture reaches 270~F, or the soft crack stage.
Remove from the heat and pour the mixture in thin streams into the egg
whites, blending completely with an electric mixer set on low.
- Continue to mix about 20 minutes or until the nougat begins to harden
and thickens to the consistency of dough. Mix in the almonds.
- Press the nougat into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan and chill until firm
about 30 minutes.
- Melt the caramels with the remaining 2 tb.
water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour the caramel over the
nougat and return the pan to the refrigerator.
- When the caramel
and nougat are firm (about 30 min), slice down the middle of the pan
with a sharp knife and then slice across into 7 segments to make a total
of 14 bars.
- Melt the milk chocolate chips in a microwave for 2
minutes on half power, stirring halfway through the cooking time. Melt
completely, but be careful not to overheat.
- Resting the bar on a
fork (and use fingers if needed) dip each bar into the chocolate to coat
completely and tap the fork against the side of the bowl to knock off
the excess chocolate.
- Place on waxed paper and let cool at room
temperature until the chocolate is firm; 1-2 hours.
14 almond bars.
This recipe is courtesy of Helen, and is a close
Close Clone Recipes