Howard Johnson's Boston Brown Bread
- 1 cup Un-sifted whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Un-sifted rye flour
cup Yellow corn meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 3/4 cup Molasses
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- Grease and flour a 2 qt. mold.
- Combine flours, corn meal, soda,
and salt. Stir in molasses and buttermilk. Turn into mold and cover
- Place on trivet in deep kettle. Add enough boiling
water to kettle to come half way up sides of mold; cover. Steam 3 1/2
hr., or until done.
- Remove from mold to cake rack. Serve hot
with baked beans.
- Recipe makes 1 loaf of brown bread.
This recipe is courtesy of Helen, and is a close clone recipe
Close Clone Recipes