El Torito's Black Bean Soup
- 12 oz. dried black beans
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Rinse and sort though black beans, discarding any that are shriveled or
discolored. Place beans in a large stockpot. Cover beans with water and
refrigerate to soak overnight.
- Drain beans and return to
stockpot. Add stock and heat to boiling.
- Meanwhile, heat olive
oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add onion, carrot, celery
and garlic and sauté until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
to stockpot along with oregano, thyme, bay leaf and cayenne pepper.
Cover stockpot and reduce heat to simmer for 3 to 4 hours.
- Transfer soup to blender or food processor and puree to desired
- Just before serving add lime juice and garnish with a
sprig of fresh cilantro, if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste and
This recipe is courtesy of Helen, and is a close clone
Close Clone Recipes