Bennigan's Onion Soup
- 1/2 pound firm white onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
tablespoons corn oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
1 quart beef broth
- 8 slices French bread
- Swiss cheese, shredded
Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauté onions in butter and oil until onions are transparent, but not
well browned. When tender, turn heat to lowest point and sprinkle with
flour, stirring vigorously.
- Pour into Dutch oven and stir in
broths. Heat thoroughly and divide among 8 oven-proof bowls. Float a
slice of bread atop each serving.
- Mix equal parts of cheese to
smooth paste and spread over bread.
- Place all bowls on oven rack
4" from broiler heat and broil until cheese melts. Serve at once.
Leftover soup freezes well up to 6 months.
Close Clone Recipes