Applebee's Low-Fat Blackened Chicken Salad
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons light
- 1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire
Cajun Spice Blend:
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato, diced
hardboiled egg white, diced
- Make dressing by combining ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well by
hand. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until salad is
- Combine water, lime juice, soy sauce, and Worcestershire
in a medium bowl, and stir. Add the chicken breasts to the marinade,
cover bowl and keep in refrigerator for several hours. Overnight is even
- When chicken is marinated, preheat a frying pan or
skillet (an iron skillet, if you’ve got it) over medium/high heat. Also,
preheat your barbecue grill to medium/high heat.
- Combine the
spices for the Cajun spice blend in a small bowl. Sprinkle a teaspoon of
the spice blend over one side of each of the chicken breasts.
- Cover the
entire surface of the chicken with spice.
- Melt the butter in the
hot pan, then sear the chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes on the side with
the spices. While first side cooks, sprinkle another teaspoon of spice
over the top of each chicken breast, coating that side as you did the
- Flip the chicken over, and sear for another 2-3 minutes.
The surface of the chicken will be coated with a charred, black layer of
flavor. This is exactly what you are shooting for.
- Finish the
chicken off on your barbecue grill. Grill each breast on both sides for
2-3 minutes, or until they are done.
- While chicken is cooking
prepare the salads by splitting the lettuce into two large bowls. Toss
in the red cabbage and carrots.
- Mix the cheeses together, then
top the salad with the cheeses and hardboiled egg. Sprinkle the diced
tomato on each salad.
- Slice the chicken breast, across each
breast in 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spread the chicken over the top of the
salad and serve immediately with dressing on the side.
Serves 2 as an entree.
This recipe is courtesy of Helen, and is
a close clone recipe.
Close Clone Recipes