Peppermint Kisses Cookies
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 to 1/2
teaspoon peppermint extract, to taste
- 2/3 cup C&H® Granulated Sugar
and green food coloring, paste or gel
- Place egg
whites, cream of tartar and peppermint extract in deep mixing bowl. Beat on high
setting until whites form soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, 1 tbsp. at a time,
continuing to beat on the highest setting, until mixture is shiny and will hold
a stiff peak.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Arrange both racks spaced in center
of oven—you will be baking two sheets at a time (this time, it's OK to stack!)
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper. Fit two 10-inch
pastry bags with large round tips (we used tip #1A). Fold edge of bag backward,
like a cuff, to keep the mouth wide. This will make “stripe painting” a snap.
- Using small paintbrush, paint several “stripes” of red food color inside one
pastry bag. Be sure to start painting inside the tip and carry the stripes up to
2/3 height of the bag. Fill bag with ½ the mixture and immediately pipe “kisses”
about ½ inch apart on the lined baking sheet.
- Repeat this process, using
the remaining pastry bag, green food coloring and remaining egg white mixture.
- Place both baking sheets in oven together; bake 10 minutes. Turn off oven; allow
baking sheets to remain in oven with door closed for additional 30-40 minutes or
until crisp, but not browned.
- Carefully remove “kisses” from baking sheets;
store in airtight container at room temperature.
YIELDS about 5 dozen.
Quick Tip: Gel and paste food coloring are available wherever cake
decorating supplies are sold.
Used with permission from C&H Sugar.
More Christmas Cookies recipes