West Haven Chocolate Cake
- 8 oz Dates; Pitted, Chopped
- 1 c ;Boiling Water
- 2 tb Cocoa;
- 1 c Shortening; Vegetable
- 2 Eggs; Large
- 1/2 c Walnuts;
- 1 ts Baking Soda
- 1 3/4 c Flour; Unbleached, Sifted
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1 c Sugar
- 6 oz Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Combine dates, baking soda, and boiling water in a small bowl. Cool to
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, and salt; set
- Cream the shortening and sugar together in a mixing bowl
until light and fluffy, using an electric mixer at medium speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in
date mixture and stir in dry ingredients.
- Pour into a greased
13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F. oven for 35
minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Cut into squares and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.