- 4 Bacon,slices,1/2" pieces
- 2 Onions
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/2 lb
Pork shoulder, coarse grind
- 1 lb Beef round,1/2" strips
- 1/2 lb
Beef chuck, coarse grind
- 4 cn Green chili, whole
- 1 T Red chili,
- 2 T Red chili, mild, ground
- 1 t Oregano, dried, pref.
- 1 1/2 t Cumin
- 1 1/2 t Salt
- 12 oz Tomato paste
- 3 c
- 16 oz Pinto beans
- Fry bacon in a large, deep heavy pot over medium heat. When the bacon
Has rendered most of its fat, remove the pieces with a slotted spoon,
drain on paper toweling and reserve.
- Add the onions and garlic to
the bacon Fat and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the
pork and beef to The pot. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook over
medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the beans and
- Bring to a boil, then Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered,
for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
in the beans and the bacon, and simmer For 1/2 hour longer.