Reno Red Chili
- 1 c Oil, cooking
- 3 lb Beef round, coarse grind
- 3 lb Beef chuck,
- Peppercorns, whole black
- 12 T Red chili, mild, ground
- 6 T Cumin
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 2 Onions
- 6 Red chilies
- 3/4 c Chile caribe
- 1 T Oregano, dried, pref. Mexican
- 2 T Paprika
- 2 T Cider vinegar
- 3 c Beef broth
- 4 oz. Diced green chilies
oz. Stewed tomatoes
- 1 t Hot pepper sauce
- 2 TB Corn flour (Masa Harina)
- Melt the suet or heat the cooking oil in a large heavy pot over
- Add the meat and the black pepper to taste, to the
- Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally,
until the meat is evenly browned.
- Stir in the ground chili, cumin,
garlic, and onions.
- Add a small amount of water to barely cover.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 45
minutes, adding water as necessary.
- Stir the crushed red chilies
into the meat mixture.
- Brew the oregano like tea in 1/2 cup warm beer
- Strain the oregano-beer "tea" and stir the liquid into
the pot. Discard the oregano.
- Stir in the paprika, vinegar, 2
cups of beef broth, diced chilies, tomatoes, and hot pepper sauce.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes longer. Stir often.
- Dissolve the masa flour in the remaining 1 cup of broth.
- Stir it into
the pot and simmer, uncovered, 1/2 longer.