Sun Dance Chili
- 2 T Lard1 Onion
- 1/2 Celery stalk
- 1 Bell peppers
- 1/2 c
- 3 lb. Beef, coarse grind
- 2 T Red chili, hot, ground
T Red chili, mild, ground
- 1/2 t Oregano, dried, pref. Mexican
- 1 t
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 t Salt
- 16 oz. Tomatoes, whole
- 6 oz.
- 4 oz. Green chilies, whole
- 32 oz. Kidney beans in
- Melt the lard, butter, or bacon drippings in a large heavy pot over
- Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook until the
onion is translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for an
additional five minutes.
- Combine the meat with the ground chile,
oregano, cumin, and garlic.
- Add this meat-and-spice mixture to the pot.
- Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until
the meat is evenly browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients
except the beans.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer,
uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Add the beans and
their liquid and simmer, uncovered, for 1/2 hour longer.
- Taste and