Buzzard's Breath Chili
- 8 pounds beef chuck or beef round, ground coarsely
- 3 tablespoon
Lard, butter or bacon drippings
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 1/3 T Red chilies, hot, ground
- 5 1/3 TB Red chilies, mild, ground
- 1 TB Cumin
- 1 tsp. Oregano,
dried, pref. Mexican
- 3 cans Tomato sauce (8oz ea.)
- 3 cups Water
- 2 TB Salt
- 1 cup Corn flour (Masa Harina)
- Parsley (optional)
- Melt the lard, butter, or bacon drippings in a large heavy pot over
medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent.
- Combine the beef with the garlic, ground chilies, cumin, and oregano.
Add this meat-and-spice mixture to the pot with the onions.
- Break up any
lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally about 1/2 hour, until
the meat is evenly browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, salt,
and optional parsley. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer,
uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Stir in the corn flour (Masa Harina) to
achieve the desired consistency.
- Cook 10 minutes longer,
- Taste and adjust seasonings.