Chou’s Chicken Soup
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 5 quarts water
- 1/2 to
3/4 cup soy sauce
- 12 dried shiitake mushrooms, whole
- 2 slices
fresh ginger, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 head Napa cabbage, cut into 1 1/2
- 1 package fish balls (preferably Venus brand)
- Combine chicken, water, soy sauce and shiitake mushrooms and ginger in a
stock pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium- low and simmer
for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add salt to taste.
- Add cabbage and fish
balls and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- By the time soup is done,
chicken is tender enough to break apart with chopsticks (or fork).
- Tear off a piece of breast or a leg to serve with bowl of soup.
- Soup is served over rice, cellophane noodles or pasta.