- 3 lbs. turtle meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 cloves chopped garlic
- One 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup beef extract
- 2 tsp.
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 chopped
- 1 shot glass of sherry
- Sauté meat in oil until brown. Set aside.
- Brown flour, and add onion,
celery and garlic. Cook 10 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients and turtle
meat. Simmer about 2 hours until meat is very tender.
- Garnish with sliced lemon and chopped egg.
- Serve with the shot glass of sherry on the side to add to the soup if
Recipe courtesy of River Roads Recipes 11 cookbook.
Chef: Mrs. Iveson B.
More Cajun and Creole recipes