Stewed (Smothered) Okra
Delicious served by itself, or used in a gumbo.
- 3 pounds fresh or frozen okra
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion or 1 large onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (16 oz) can whole tomatoes or 1/2
pound fresh chopped tomatoes or 1 can Rotel brand tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Wash fresh okra. Remove stems and
cut okra into 1/2 inch rounds.
- In a heavy saucepan or Magnalite
cookware, cook the okra, onions, tomatoes in the oil over medium low heat
stirring continually for about 45 minutes to 2 hours (depending on the
amount you are cooking) until the okra is no longer slimy and has achieved a
light greenish brown color. Don't forget to stir, stir, stir to prevent
sticking and burning.
- Do not use cast iron as the acid in
the okra will remove the seasonings in your cast iron pot. Also never warm
up any okra dish in a cast iron pot.
- Check your seasonings and serve as a vegetable side dish, with rice and
gravy or make the okra and shrimp gumbo. Cei cest bon!
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes
Recipe and photo courtesy of Real
Cajun Recipes. Used with permission.