Speckle Trout Creole
- 4 filleted trout
- 1 and a half chopped or diced onions
tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of red
- 3 teaspoons of tomato paste
- 1 and 1/2 stick of butter
tablespoons of roux preferably homemade
- 4 stalks of chopped celery
- 1 can stewed tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
table spoon of crushed Bay leaf
- Hot cooked rice
- Sauté onions and celery till clear.
- Add the rest of the ingredients
(except cooked rice) and add 8 oz. of water and simmer for 20-30
- Place fish filets flat in bottom of pot. (I use oval
shaped magnilite pot Dutch oven so you have more area on the bottom for
- The trick is NOT TO STIR IT. You must cook on low to
medium heat and move around with a spatula so not to break up the
- Continue cooking until filets are done.
- Serve over hot
* Do not use bone in trout. If you use bone in, it
will cause bones to be in gravy.
Recipe and photo courtesy of
John David Gordon, used with permission.
Cajun Recipes Page 1