South Louisiana Gumbo
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 each large green bell pepper, chopped
- clove garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire® sauceto taste
- salt and red and black pepper
- 1 hen or large fryer
- 3 lb. shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 3 pints oysters, drained
- 1 can crabmeat, optional
- crab claws, okra, file; optional
- juice of 1 lemon
- Boil chicken. Debone and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Reserve 1/2 gal. stock.[BR]Heat oil over medium heat in a large
cast-iron pot. Add flour; stir until roux is dark brown (the color of a
brown paper bag), being careful not to burn.
- Add onions, bell pepper and garlic.[BR]Sauté until tender. Add celery,
okra, salt, red and black pepper and chicken stock.
- Let simmer for at least 1 hour. Add as much chicken as desired. (reserve
remainder for another recipe) and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add shrimp, crabmeat, crab claws, Worcestershire® sauce, lemon juice and
- Continue cooking until ready to add oysters; oysters should not be added
until 15 - 20 minutes before serving. Add filè just before serving, but do
- Serve over rice.
Recipe Makes 12 servings.
NOTES: A leftover turkey carcass is excellent for this recipe instead of
chicken. Boil carcass; remove meat from bones and reserve stock as you would for
chicken. This recipe is better if made the day before and refrigerated. If not
made the day before, begin preparing it in the morning if it is to be served at
Source: Sunday Dinner Newsletter
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes