Smothered Okra Tomatoes with Shrimp
- 2 quarts fresh okra, sliced (PicSweet Frozen will work if fresh Is not
available, just not as good as fresh)
- 1 pound small to medium shrimp, peeled
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced yellow
- ½ cup chicken stock or shrimp stock if available
- Slap Ya Mama
to taste or salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- In a 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté okra,
onions, celery, bell peppers and chopped garlic approximately 30
- Stir constantly until okra stops “stringing.”
- Stir in
tomatoes and chicken stock, bring to a low boil and cook approximately
45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp and continue to
cook additional 15–20 minutes.
- Season to taste.
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes