Simple Cabbage Rolls
- 1 lb ground beef (or half beef and half
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce or Rotel tomatoes for spicy
- 2 cans water
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- Cut and core the heart of the cabbage as far down as you can, keeping
- In a large pot, boil water and parboil the cabbage. As the cabbage
gets softer, remove the leaves individually.
- Combine the beef, rice, onions and seasonings. Separate into
- Wrap the softened cabbage leaves around the meat balls and fasten
- The rice will cook and expand.
- In a large pot, put 2 cans tomato sauce and 2 cans water (add enough
water to mark just below the top of the rolls). Add salt, pepper and
- Cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Real Cajun Recipes and Suzanne LeMaire - Crowley,
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes