This spaghetti gets it unique flavor from the shrimp and the
tomato based roux. You use spaghetti, or your choice of pasta.
- 1/2 cup prepared roux or scratch roux (1 cup flour and 3/4 cup oil)
medium onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 short ribs celery chopped
4 cloves garlic minced fine
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 - 15 ounce cans Hunts tomato
- 1 small can tomato paste
- Rotel brand tomatoes or tomatoes with
green chilies (optional)
- 3/4 pound package spaghetti or angel hair pasta
2 pounds shrimp
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste
- chopped parsley for garnishment
- Combine the onion, bell pepper and celery and divide in half.
- In a
4.5 quart roaster size, add the 1/4 cup oil, the two cans tomato sauce and
one of the half mixture of the onion, bell pepper, celery. Cook over low
fire, stirring occasionally, while you make the roux..
- In a separate pot,
make a roux. When the roux is a dark brown color, add the remaining half of
the onion bell pepper, celery and garlic; sauté for 10 minutes until
vegetables are soften.
- Add the tomato paste to the roux and sauté for an
additional 15 minute; stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
the roux mixture with the tomato sauce adding one cup water. Bring to a low
boil for 10 minutes. Add two cups water, then add the shrimp adding the
pasta loosely separating the stands of spaghetti. Add more water if you
prefer a more soupy sauce.
- Reduce the heat, stir lightly and cover
tightly. Check after 5 minutes, stir and add more water if needed. Cook for
another five minutes.
Yield : 1 Servings : 8 servings Prep Time : 30m Cook Time : 30m Ready In :
Recipe courtesy of Real Cajun Recipes. Used with permission.
Cajun Recipes Page 1