Appetizers and Snacks |
Beef and Pork |
Bisque, Etouffee, Gumbo and Jambalaya |
Bread and Rolls |
Cajun Cooking Terms |
Cajun Jokes |
Chicken, Turkey and Cornish
and Relish |
Fish and Seafood |
Pasta, Pasta Sauce, Rice
and Beans |
Preserves, Jams and Jelly |
Salad and Salad Dressing |
Sandwiches and Po' Boys |
Seasoning, Sauce, Rub
and Roux |
Side Dishes, Vegetables, Gravy and Dressing |
Soup, Stew and Chili |
Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound andouille (or other spicy
smoked sausage), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
cup seeded and chopped green bell peppers
- 1 garlic clove, minced
cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra or one (10-ounce) package
frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon TABASCO® brand
Original Red Sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound medium-size shrimp, peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green part only)
cooked long-grain white rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high
heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Heat the
remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux is light
brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic, and
cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes.
stir in the broth and blend until smooth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the
sausage, okra, salt, cayenne, TABASCO® Sauce, and bay leaves, cover,
reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20
- Stir in
the shrimp and green onions and simmer until the shrimp turn pink, about
- Remove the bay leaves and serve in soup bowls over rice.
Cajun Recipes Page 1