Appetizers and Snacks |
Beef and Pork |
Bisque, Etouffee, Gumbo and Jambalaya |
Bread and Rolls |
Cajun Cooking Terms |
Cajun Jokes |
Chicken, Turkey and Cornish
and Relish |
Fish and Seafood |
Pasta, Pasta Sauce, Rice
and Beans |
Preserves, Jams and Jelly |
Salad and Salad Dressing |
Sandwiches and Po' Boys |
Seasoning, Sauce, Rub
and Roux |
Side Dishes, Vegetables, Gravy and Dressing |
Soup, Stew and Chili |
Red Beans And Rice With Sausage
- 1 lb dry kidney beans
- 2 lbs smoked sausage (more or less)
cut into circles
- One large yellow, or white onion, minced
- One large bell
pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- Celery (to taste)
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
(more or less)
- 1/2 lb bacon (more or less) I cut the strips in half
- Pepper to taste
- Cajun seasoning of your choice to taste (I used
Louisiana Fish Fry seasoning mix)
- Water to cover beans, and to
continue cooking with
- This is my quick cook method for
beans. You may want to soak yours overnight
- Rinse and pick over beans.
Place beans in a large pot, cover with water. (I added at least a inch above
- Bring to a boil for around a minute or so. Turn beans off, cover
and let set for about an hour. Bring beans back to a boil, lower heat.
cooking, adding water as needed.
- In the meantime, sauté onion, bell
peppers and garlic in oil until soft. (Some people cook the sausage and veggies
at the same time, but I have trouble with sticking.) Set aside the veggies.
- Cook sausage over medium heat in the same pan until browned. Drain grease.
- Add smoked sausage, veggies, bacon and seasonings to taste to the beans. (I
don't cook my bacon first, although some people do.)
- Continue cooking until
beans are soft.
- Take some of the beans and mash them, (against
the inside of the pan is fine) This will make the bean soup thicken up.
- Let it all cook down until it's the thickness you want. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve over white rice, and enjoy!
Cajun Recipes Page 1