Popeye's Cajun Gravy (Close Clone)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chicken gizzard
- 2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup ground beef
- 1/4 cup ground pork
- 2 cups water 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash dried parsley flakes
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté chicken gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked.
- Remove gizzard from the pan and let cool.
- Finely mince the gizzard after it has cooled.
- Combine ground beef and ground pork. Mix with your hands until well
- Add bell pepper to the saucepan and sauté it for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and pork to the pan and cook until brown. Mash meat into
tiny pieces as it browns.
- Add water and beef broth to the saucepan, then immediately whisk in
cornstarch and flour.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gravy until thick - about 30 to 35 minutes.
This recipe was posted at our old blog for Jean.
The following comment
was also made by an Anonymous poster: "The error is in the use of beef broth. It
is assumed because of the color. However as a native Louisianan, i will tell you
that this variation of our red eye gravy is made with coffee and chicken stock.
The ground meats are not beef and pork, but sausage."
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes