New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp
This Barbecue shrimp is made New Orleans style. Loaded with flavor, you
will be hooked from the very first taste, and be going back for more.
You might want to make extra, and these will go fast!
- 2 pounds jumbo or colossal fresh shrimp, heads on
- 7 cups cold
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely
chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 11/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Slap Ya Mama
Cajun Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dark or
- 2 loaves French bread, for serving
- Peel shrimp and devein, leaving tails on and reserving the heads and
shells. Refrigerate shrimp.
- In a small Dutch oven, add shrimp
heads and shells, and cover with 7 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring
occasionally, for 15 minutes. Skim any froth as it rises to the surface.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, and set aside. Reserve 1
cup shrimp stock. Remaining stock can be refrigerated up to 1 week or
frozen up to 3 months.
- In a large skillet, melt 5 tablespoons
butter over high heat. Add rosemary, pepper, Slap Ya Mama Cajun
Seasoning, shallot, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until
fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add reserved stock, Worcestershire, Slap Ya
Mama Cajun Hot Sauce, and lemon juice. Add shrimp, and cook just until
pink and firm.
- Add beer, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Decrease
heat to low, and add remaining 7 tablespoons butter.
- Gently stir as the
butter melts into the sauce and the sauce is emulsified.
immediately with French bread.
Makes about 4 Servings
Recipe and photo provided by Jack Walker at Slap Ya Mama Used with