Camellia Brand Hoppin' John
- 2 cups Camellia Brand Blackeye Peas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
large onion, chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves
- 4 cups lightly salted water or chicken broth
- 2 large
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked
long-grain white rice
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Salt, pepper and/or
hot sauce, to taste
Rinse and sort peas. (Optional: Soak peas using your preferred method.)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 5
- Add tomato and garlic; sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add water or broth, ham hocks, bay leaves and oregano; bring to a boil.
Add blackeye peas; stir well. Return to a low boil; cover with lid, reduce
heat to low, and simmer 1½ to 2 hours or until the peas are tender, stirring
- Remove ham hocks, pick meat from bones, chop and return to the pot;
discard bones, skin and other unwanted items. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Add rice to pot, cover and simmer an additional 25 minutes or until the
rice is tender. Add green onions; stir well. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Total time: 10 hours, 30 minutes Prep time: 8 hours Cook time:2 hours,
30 minutes Yield:6
Recipe and photo courtesy of
Camellia Brand Used with permission.
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes