Gumbeaux La La Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Andouille or smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 pound okra, sliced into 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups hot chicken stock
- 1/2 pound peeled and cleaned medium size raw shrimp
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley (flat-leaf parsley)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Garlic Rice (recipe follows)
- Add olive oil to a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
sausage to the Dutch oven, and allow it to brown for several minutes.
When well browned, remove the sausage from the Dutch Oven and set it
- Add the chicken pieces to the Dutch oven along with a
sprinkling of salt and pepper. Let chicken brown in the drippings for
about 2-3 minutes; remove the chicken pieces from the Dutch oven, and
- To the Dutch oven add the celery, onion and bell
pepper, and caramelize it for about 2-3 minutes in the oil.
the bay leaves, Creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and
1/2 teaspoon black pepper; stir to combine.
- Add the garlic,
stirring constantly, until it becomes aromatic.
- Add the tomato
paste and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the okra, tomatoes with
juice, hot chicken stock and browned sausage and chicken. Stir to
combine, and simmer gently over low/medium-low heat, uncovered, for 20
- Add shrimp, and let simmer for only 2 minutes
more so as to not overcook the shrimp.
- Stir in the parsley and
- Serve over the Garlic Rice.
tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, run through
a garlic press
- 2 cups Basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher or
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- Add olive oil to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the pressed garlic, and stir to combine.
- When the garlic becomes fragrant, add the rice, salt and pepper and
stir constantly for about two minutes.
- Add the water, stir well,
and let the rice simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until tender.
Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, covered.
- Fluff with a
fork and serve.
Cajun Recipes Page 1