Deep Fried Red Beans, Rice and Sausage Balls
Here in Louisiana we love our red beans and rice with sausage! Susie
Kelly has raised the bar with this recipe! With this mixture, deep fry
it all together, and serve with a Creole Style dipping sauce! Russell
Kelly says, no matter how many they make, there never is any left!
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup of red beans, cooked until creamy, (or 1 cup of of already prepared canned Blue Runner cream style red beans)
- 4 thinly sliced green onions
- 4 Tablespoons finely chopped sausage, tasso or ham
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs in all
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce - your choice
- 2 eggs in all
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- oil for deep frying
Creole Dipping Sauce:
- 1 part Mayonnaise
- 1 part Creole mustard
- Mix together rice, red beans, onions sausage, tasso or ham, and 2
tablespoons breadcrumbs. Sprinkle on hot sauce, then stir in one egg to
form a tight batter.
- Whisk milk and remaining egg to make an egg
- Form small balls from red beans, rice, sausage, OR tasso,
OR ham mixture. Roll in flour, then coat with egg wash and roll in the
- Heat oil to 360 degrees F and fry until
golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with Creole
Dipping Sauce, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- Creole Dipping
Sauce: Mix one part mayonnaise to one part Creole Mustard, and serve
with the red beans and rice balls.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of
Susie Kelly. Used with permission.
Cajun Recipes Page 1
Non Cajun Appetizers