Creole Style Pork Stew
Enjoy this Creole Style Pork Stew that is chock full of flavor. Pork,
sausage, tomato paste, seasonings and more make this a hearty and
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups onion, chopped (about 1 large onion)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 links andouille smoked sausage, chopped (about 1 pound, 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced or chopped (about 4 large cloves)
- 4 cups chicken stock, OR 1 carton (32 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne, depending on personal taste
- 2 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- hot pepper sauce, OR white vinegar
- 4 cups long-grain rice, cooked
- Make a roux by heating oil in a large, heavy pot over low heat. Stir
in flour; cook and stir over low heat until mixture turns a rich
red-brown color (about 20 to 25 minutes).
- Remove from heat;
carefully stir in onion, celery, bell pepper and about 1 cup chopped
sausage. Return pot to heat; cook and stir 5 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in garlic, chicken stock or broth and tomato paste. Add
Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sage, oregano and cayenne pepper;
bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add pork pieces and reduce heat
to simmer; cook uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender.
Stir in remaining chopped sausage; cook 5 minutes more to heat through.
(At this stage, if you do not want to serve right away, stew may be
refrigerated for up to 2 days.)
- Discard bay leaves and skim any
visible fat, if desired. Add salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste.
To serve, spoon 1/2 cup rice into shallow soup bowls; ladle some of pork
mixture over top. Add more hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Variation: Add 1 pound okra cut into 1/2-inch pieces during
the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
This recipe was developed by
Chef Bruce Aidells, author of Bruce Aidells’s Complete Book of Pork.
Calories: 692 calories
Protein: 38 grams
Fat: 42 grams
Sodium: 1234 milligrams
Cholesterol: 104 milligrams
Saturated Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 38 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Pork Board. For more
information about pork, visit the
National Pork Board
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes