Cajun Crawfish File Gumbo
- 1 c Shortening
- 1 c Flour
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1/4 c Parsley,
- 3 Pods garlic, minced
- 1/4 c Celery leaves, minced
- 1 lb
Crawfish tails, cleaned
- 8 c Water
- 1/2 c Crawfish fat
- Make a roux by cooking shortening and flour together to make a golden
brown color while stirring constantly.
- Add onions and cook until
soft. Add crawfish fat. Stir constantly while cooking over low heat
until shortening floats on top.
- Add water and seasonings. Simmer over a
low heat for 30 min.
- About 1/2 hr. before serving, add garlic
and crawfish tails and let simmer for 25 min. longer.
- Add parsley, green
onion tops, celery leaves and simmer 5 min. longer.
- Just before
serving, add about 3/4 tsp. file powder, if desired. Serve in soup
plates with hot steamed rice and Tabasco sauce, if desired.
Recipe yields 6 servings
Cajun Recipes Page 1