Cheesy Cajun Rice and Chicken
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce)can Italian style stewed tomatoes, drained, chopped (reserving liquid)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice (not converted)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can niblets corn drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 8 ounce (2 cups) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounce (2 cups) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In 4 cup
measuring cup, combine chicken broth and tomato liquid.
- Add enough water to
make 3 2/3 cups; set aside.
- Heat oil in 3 to 4 quart saucepan over medium
- Add rice, onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until rice
just begins to brown.
- Stir in Chili powder, ground red pepper, basil and
oregano. Add broth mixture, tomatoes and mushrooms; stir well and bring just to a
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and
liquid is absorbed. Do not remove cover during cooking.
- Preheat oven to
- Lightly grease 13 x 9 inch baking dish or pan.
- Add chicken and
corn to rice mixture; stir gently.
- Spoon into greased baking dish; gently
pat down lightly. Sprinkle with cheeses; cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 to 35
minutes or until thoroughly heated. Cut into squares.
- Top each serving
with tablespoonful of sour cream and teaspoonful of chopped green onions and
Makes 12 servings
Photo credit: Darice.
Cajun Recipes Page 1