Cajun Shrimp And Oyster Gumbo
- 2 c Stock (recipe below)
- 3 tb Oil
- 1/4 c Flour
- 1/2 c Chopped onion
- 1 ts Minced garlic
- 3/4 c Chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 c Chopped parsley
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 1/2 ts Dried thyme
- 1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 ts Hot pepper sauce
- 16 oz Can tomatoes with juices
- 10 oz Frozen okra, thaw, cut across
- 1 lb Medium shrimp, clean, devein
- 1 pt Shucked oysters
- 3 c Hot cooked rice
- Stock: In a large stock pot, combine 2 quarts water, 2 slices lemon,
2 dried red chilies, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon dried
thyme, shrimp shells and oyster liquor.
- Bring to a boil. Cook at
a low boil, uncovered until mixture is reduced to about 3 cups, about 25
to 30 minutes. Strain and discard seasonings and shrimp shells.
- To make roux: Combine flour and oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven.
Cook and stir over medium high heat until roux turns a dark, rich red
brown color but is not scorched, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in onion
and garlic; cook and stir until soft. Add green pepper, parsley, salt,
thyme, cayenne pepper and pepper sauce. Cook and stir 5 minutes longer.
- Gradually, whisk in about 2 cups warm stock and tomatoes. Return to
a boil and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add okra; simmer
just until okra is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and
oysters. Simmer just until edges of oysters curl and shrimp is pink and
opaque,5 to 8 minutes. Do not overcook seafood.
- Remove from heat.
- To serve: mound hot rice in soup plates and ladle gumbo over the
Yield: 6 Servings
Cajun Recipes Page 1