Louisiana Roast Beef
- 1 ts Salt
- 1 ts White pepper
- 1/2 ts Dry mustard
- 1/2 ts Ground cayenne
- 1/4 c Bell peppers, chopped fine
- 1/4 c Celery, chopped very fine
- 1/4 c Onions, chopped very fine
- 2 tb Unsalted butter
- 3/4 ts Black pepper
- 3/4 ts Minced garlic
- 4 lb Boneless sirloin roast
- In a small bowl combine the onions, celery, bell peppers, butter and
seasonings, mix well.
- Place roast in a large roasting pan, fat side up.
- With a large knife make 6 to 12 deep slits in the meat (to form
pockets) down to a depth of about 1/2 inch from the bottom; do not cut
all the way through.
- Fill the pockets to their depths with the
vegetable mixture, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the vegetables to rub
over the top of the roast.
- Bake uncovered at 300F until a meat
thermometer reads about 160F for medium doneness, about 3 hours.
- For rarer roast, cook beef until thermometer reads 140F.
immediately topped with some of the pan drippings if you like.
From Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
Photo credit: Jeremy Keith.
Cajun Recipes Page 1