Crab and Eggplant Dressing
- 4 large eggplants
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 2 lb. (lump) crab meat or fresh shrimp
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 cup
FRESHLY grated Romano cheese
- Salt and red pepper to taste
- 2 large
- 1 large bell pepper
- Seasoned bread crumbs
- Peel and cube eggplants. Soak in cold salted water.Drain and cook in
large Dutch oven in bacon fat for 1 hour over medium heat; then add
salt, red pepper, onions, bell pepper and celery.
cooking until thoroughly done. You can use a potato masher to break up
eggplant while cooking.
- If using fresh shrimp, cook additional 10
minutes. If lump crabmeat (or ham) is used, stir in without cooking.
- Add enough seasoned bread crumbs to absorb liquid. Stir in 1/2 cup
Romano cheese (Grated cheese refrigerates well in jar).
- Place in
2 quart casserole and top lightly with more crumbs and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Cajun Recipes Page 1