Cajun Baked Vegetable Gumbo
- 1 lb Fresh okra, diag. sliced
- 2 pk Frozen sliced okra(10oz)
- Boiling salted water
- 1 Rib celery, diagonally sliced
- 2 Bell
peppers, in strips
- 2 pk Frozen lima beans (10oz)
- 8 Ears fresh corn
- 2 pk Frozen corn, thawed (10oz)
- Butter or margarine
- Bread crumbs
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 4 Ripe tomatoes, sliced
Serrano chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 t Chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 t Dried
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
Shredded Monterey Jack
- Cook fresh okra briefly in boiling salted water; drain.
- Blanch celery
in boiling salted water.
- Add bell peppers and lima beans and cook until
just tender; during last 30 seconds, add corn (do not overcook), then
- Butter a large baking dish and sprinkle with
bread crumbs; add a layer of corn-bean mixture and okra.
onion, tomatoes and basil; spoon layer of onion tomato mixture over
bottom layer in dish.
- Sprinkle with chilies and season with salt and
pepper. Dot with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
layering until casserole is filled.
- Top with a layer of okra that has
been dipped in crumbs and lightly sautéed in butter; sprinkle evenly
with shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake uncovered in preheated 300'
over for 1 hour.
NOTE: This can be baked in the morning and
reheated slowly before serving.
This baked vegetable gumbo tastes
even better the second day.
Cajun Recipes Page 1