Cajun Rabbit Gumbo
- 1 1/2 cups lard
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Louisiana hot sauce to taste or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 pound Andouille or smoked sausage
- One rabbit, cut into pieces
- In a large pot, heat the lard over medium heat.
- Add the flour and
stir constantly to make a very dark roux, about the color of mahogany
- Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and cook, stirring
constantly, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining
ingredients and cook, covered, until rabbit is tender, about 1 1/2 to 2
- Serve over rice.
Source: Sunday Dinner Newsletter
Photo credit: jeffreyw
Cajun Recipes Cajun and Creole Recipes