Cajun Creamy Onion Soup
- 4 cups white onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 12 cups beef stock or beef bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- Thick slices of toasted French bread
- Grated Romano cheese
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Seasoned and buttered bread crumbs
- Sauté onion in the melted butter over low heat. Cook until onions are
clear. Do not brown.
- Slowly add the flour, stirring and cooking to make
a blond roux (approximately seven minutes).
- Add in beef stock and
spices, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Remove pot from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and cream together
while adding in a little of the soup.
- Add this mixture to the pot. Mix
- Place one slice of toasted French bread in the bottom of
individual serving crocks.
- Sprinkle Romano cheese on the bread.
soup on top of bread.
- Place a slice of mozzarella on top of soup,
letting edges rest on top of the crock.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs lightly on
top of the cheese.
- Broil just until cheese is bubbly and lightly
- Serve immediately.
Recipe was posted at our old cooking blog.
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes