Cajun Natchitoches Meat Pies
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 pod garlic, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt, black and red pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
Meat Pie Crust
- 1 quart plain flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening + 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup milk
- Melt shortening in heavy pot.
- Add meat. Cook until pink is gone.
- Add vegetables and season to taste. (Season well, as meat will lose
seasoning during frying.)
- When meat is completely done and vegetables
are glazed, remove from heat and drain excess liquid. Stir in 1
- Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in
- Beat egg and add to milk.
- Work gradually into dry
ingredients until proper consistency to roll.
- Break into small
pieces and roll very thin.
- Cut into rounds using a saucer as a
- To assemble:
a large tablespoon of prepared meat along edge and halfway in the center
of round dough.
- Fold the other half over, making edges meet and seal
with water. Form edges with fork.
- Drop in deep fat and cook until golden
brown. Drain and serve hot.
Makes approximately 18.
Cajun Recipes Page 1