Cajun Chicken Gumbo
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, skin and fat removed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion tops
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 gallon water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- hot sauce
- 1 tsp fresh file
- Cut chicken into 8 serving pieces.
- In a cast iron dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Add
onions and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add water, parsley, celery, green onions and bell pepper. Bring to a
rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer 3-5 minutes. Add 1 gallon hot water. Bring to a
rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook 45 minutes.
- In a heavy-bottom skillet, heat 1/2 cup of oil over medium-high heat.
Add flour and, using a wire whisk, stir constantly until dark brown roux is
- Once chicken is tender, add the roux to the boiling chicken mixture.
Blend well into soup and allow to cook 5-10 additional minutes.
- Season using salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Remove gumbo from heat and allow oil to rise to the surface.
- Using a ladle, skim off any excess fat. Finish with gumbo file.
- Serve over steamed white rice.
Recipe serves: 6
Source: Sunday Dinner Newsletter
Cajun Recipes-Cajun and Creole Recipes