Al Copeland's Basic Cajun Jambalaya
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound pickled pork, diced
- 1 pound smoked ham, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 cups beef or chicken stock or hot water
- 2 cups rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- In large saucepan with lid, melt butter with oil. Add onions and pork
and sauté until onions are soft. Add ham, garlic, thyme and parsley and
sauté 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until browned. Stir in stock and bring to boil. Add
rice, bay leaf and cayenne. Return to boil and cover. Simmer over very low
heat 30 to 45 minutes, checking after 30 minutes to see if all liquid has
been absorbed and rice is tender.
- If necessary, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more water if liquid boils away before
rice is cooked.