Al Copeland's Basic Cajun Jambalaya
This is a basic jambalaya recipe. Rice, seasonings, smoked sausage and more.
You can use the following recipe, or change it up to add your choice of meat or
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound pickled pork, diced
- 1 pound smoked ham, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 cups beef or chicken stock or hot water
- 2 cups rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- In large saucepan with lid, melt butter with oil.
- Add onions and pork
and sauté until onions are soft.
- Add ham, garlic, thyme and parsley and
sauté 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until browned. Stir in stock and bring to boil.
rice, bay leaf and cayenne. Return to boil and cover.
- Simmer over very low
heat 30 to 45 minutes, checking after 30 minutes to see if all liquid has
been absorbed and rice is tender.
- If necessary, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more water if liquid boils away before
rice is cooked.